Today's hours
We're open 9:00AM to 6:00PM
Mon, Mar 31 | 9:00AM to 6:00PM |
Tue, Apr 01 | 9:00AM to 6:00PM |
Wed, Apr 02 | 9:00AM to 6:00PM |
Thu, Apr 03 | 9:00AM to 6:00PM |
Fri, Apr 04 | 9:00AM to 6:00PM |
Sat, Apr 05 | Closed |
Sun, Apr 06 | Closed |
Confirm library hours before visiting.
Curbside Service available Mon.-Fri. 9-6
In 2001 the Library Board and Administration chose an architect to design a new library to be built in the 1400 block of Tuscaloosa Avenue on the site of the old Masonic Temple. The temple, built in the 1920s and later added to the National Register of Historic Places, was destroyed in a fire in 1996 on New Year's Day. While planning the contemporary design of the new building, the architect and the library sought to preserve some of the on-site ruins from the historic Masonic structure. As a result of this effort, sections of the temple's Doric columns are incorporated into the lamp posts in the parking area and are also located in the historic plaza that commemorates the temple. Featured in the plaza are carved Masonic symbols that are remnants from the temple's original stone frieze.